Mining Product: Toolbox Training For Construction Aggregate Miners
Original creation date: August 2004
This NIOSH Toolbox Training for Construction Aggregate Miners program contains 52 different modules designed to stimulate safety discussions among your employees. Each module is intended to be completed in roughly 10 or 15 minutes, so a Toolbox Training session can be conducted once a week for the entire year. Each session can count toward your employee's 8-hour annual MSHA refresher training.
The modules are used to refresh employees on the procedures, policies, and practices of working safely at a specific mine site and can easily be tailored to fit conditions and situations found on your property. Every module follows the same format, so that as the weeks pass, miners will start to approach every safety situation in the same way. Some of the training topics include: working around equipment, PPE, materials handling, and hand tools. A blank format is included in the package to help develop your own topics.
Each training session is a 5-step process:
- Identify the hazard and discuss the types of injuries typically associated with the hazard.
- Discuss some of the causes of the hazard. Reference the MSHA example included with each module.
- After the hazard and accident has been explained and understood, discuss best practices and tips for avoiding a similar accident.
- Review similar conditions or near misses from your mine site using the leading questions on the form to start a discussion. Discuss specific examples of equipment or structures on the site that could lead to the same accident. Use the comment space on the module to add your own remarks and questions to supplement the given information.
- Have the trainees fill out the training record on the back of the form with their name, initials, and date.
Audience: Construction aggregate miners
- Assessing and Monitoring Open Pit Mine Highwalls
- Behavioral and Organizational Dimensions of Underground Mine Fires
- Considerations in Training On-the-Job Trainers
- Job Training Analysis: A Process for Quickly Developing a Roadmap for Teaching and Evaluating Job Skills
- Major Hazard Risk Assessment Applied to Pillar Recovery Operations
- Mapping Hazards with Microseismic Technology to Anticipate Roof Falls - A Case Study
- Technology News 494 - Expert Miner Training Video Released by NIOSH
- Using Major Hazard Risk Assessment to Appraise and Manage Escapeway Instability Issues: A Case Study
- Visual Performance for Incandescent and Solid-State Cap Lamps in an Underground Mining Environment
- Zen and the Art of Rockbolting