Mining Project: Calibration and Verification of Longwall Stress Models
To provide a case study and exploration of options in assessing ground safety with analytical stress analysis tools in design of longwall coal panels consistent with MSHA guidance.
This project was executed as part of the NIOSH effort to reduce ground failure fatalities and injuries in the mining industry. This project contributed to the NIOSH Mining Program.
The major outputs from this project were peer-reviewed and publicly available publications demonstrating and developing proper practice in assessing ground failure hazards consistent with guidance provided by the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). These developments have application to other types of underground coal mining, and provide some insight into similar mining methods applied to other commodities. The outcomes of this project facilitated development of sound engineering practice within the framework provided by MSHA guidance and, possibly, extension and/or refinement of that guidance. This work promoted development of standards and conventions for appropriately conducting ground control analytical stress analyses, providing much-needed context for analysts working within the framework of MSHA guidance. Ultimately, the project supported assurance of ground safety by design in the nation's coal mines.
- Coal Mine Safety Applications of Seismic Monitoring
- Critical Review of Numerical Stress Analysis Tools for Deep Coal Longwall Panels Under Strong Strata
- Deep Cover Pillar Extraction in the U.S. Coalfields
- Elastic and Shear Moduli of Coal Measure Rocks Derived from Basic Well Logs Using Fractal Statistics and Radial Basis Functions
- Multiple-Seam Mining in the United States: Design Based on Case Histories
- Roof Support
- Stochastic Modeling of Gob Gas Venthole Production Performances in Active and Completed Longwall Panels of Coal Mines
- Technology News 493 - Proceedings: New Technology for Coal Mine Roof Support
- Technology News 517 - New Updates for NIOSH Coal Mine Ground Control Software
- Technology News 526 - Proceedings of the International Workshop on Rock Mass Classification in Underground Mining
- Page last reviewed: 10/22/2016
- Page last updated: 10/22/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program