Mining Contract: Performance and Safety Investigation of Emergency Backup Batteries and Battery Charging Systems for Underground Mining Applications
This contract will address issues associated with battery selection, use, and charging for the underground coal mining environment, specifically with respect to MINER Act requirements for mine communications and personnel tracking technology. Such technology will require battery use for primary and/or backup electrical power. Detailed analysis and recommendations will be reported for the following topics:
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is complete. To receive a copy of the final report, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The final report presents the results from analyses of mine emergencies, communications and tracking systems, and relevant battery technology, as well as recommendations for improved battery use in underground mine communications and tracking systems. The report includes the following:
- The summary of a review of past mine emergencies and resulting conclusions and recommendations with respect to communications and tracking technology.
- Suggested strategies and protocols for improving communication and tracking system operation time while under battery power.
- A thorough review of relevant battery chemistries and battery charging technology, focusing on performance and safety.
- An examination of battery technology for portable components of communications and tracking systems, including safety issues associated with lithium-chemistry batteries.
- An examination of battery technology for stationary components of communications and tracking systems, including protection and hardening strategies.
- Supporting and background information on mine emergencies, communications and tracking systems technology and approval, and battery technology.
- Application of Extreme Power Line Communication Methods to Mine Environments
- Battery Safety Enhancements for Underground Coal Mines
- Emergency Communications and Tracking
- Exploration of Two Position Adjustment Methods for Underground Mine Tracking Systems
- Radio System Modifications for Improved Mine Safety (Medium Frequency)
- System Reliability and Environmental Survivability
- Technology News 543 - Reverse Implementation of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology for Personnel Tracking in Underground Mines
- Technology News 544 - New Measurement Tool to Validate Wireless Communications and Tracking Radio Signal Coverage in Mines
- Technology News 546 - Medium Frequency Mine Emergency Communications - An Emerging Technology
- Underground Mine Communications (in Four Parts): 4. Section-to-Place Communications