Mining Contract: Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling for Underground Mines
A better understanding is needed of the exact behavior of longwall ventilation—specifically, the ventilation of bleeder and bleederless gobs, where flammable or explosive concentrations of methane are known to exist. This research expands on previous work on computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling and uses FLUENT code to develop a modeling and predictive tool for mine ventilation.
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is complete. To receive a copy of the final report, send a request to email@example.com.
The purpose of capacity-building contracts is to help build the capacity of our nation’s workforce to address critical safety and health problems in U.S. mines by producing graduates with advanced degrees in mining and minerals engineering, and to help develop tenure-track faculty performing research in these areas. Applications for these competitive grants are announced as part of NIOSH OMSHR’s Broad Agency Announcements and are submitted by a Principal Investigator at a U.S. institution offering an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree in mining or minerals engineering.
For further information on capacity-building contracts, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advances in Grid-Based Numerical Modeling Techniques for Improving Gas Management in Coal Mines
- A CART Technique to Adjust Production from Longwall Coal Operations under Ventilation Constraints
- Degasification System Selection for U.S. Longwall Mines Using an Expert Classification System
- Effect of a Surface Borehole on Longwall Gob Degasification (Pocahontas No. 3 Coalbed)
- A Methodology for Determining Gob Permeability Distributions and its Application to Reservoir Modeling of Coal Mine Longwalls
- Probabilistic Modeling Using Bivariate Normal Distributions for Identification of Flow and Displacement Intervals in Longwall Overburden
- Reservoir Engineering Considerations for Coal Seam Degasification and Methane Control in Underground Mines
- Studying Longwall Ventilation with Physical Modeling
- Technology News 448 - Improving the Performance of Longwall Gob Gas Ventholes
- Underground Gob Gas Drainage During Longwall Mining