Mining Contract: Next Generation Continuous Personal Dust Monitor (CPDM)
This contract will produce a prototype version of a next generation continuous personal dust monitor (CPDM).
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is ongoing. For more information on this contract, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The focus of this work is to develop a next-generation continuous personal dust monitor (CPDM). The contractor, Thermo Fisher Scientific, will target three primary areas in this project: reducing the size and weight of the current CPDM (PDM 3700), improving the thermal performance of the instrument, and improving the battery life and instrument runtime.
Improved battery life will ensure that the future instrument is capable of operating in excess of the required 12 hours maximum runtime and provide long-term instrument performance. Improved thermal control will result in the ability of the instrument to be operated over a wider shift temperature operating range while still providing accurate near-real-time dust concentration measurements and accurate end-of-shift exposure results as required by MSHA. Overall, the contract will address the need for a smaller, lighter, and quieter CPDM that is designed to comply with MSHA approval criteria.
- Adaptation of Wearable Respirable Dust Monitor Prototypes for use in Underground Coal Mines
- Determining the Spatial Variability of Personal Sampler Inlet Locations
- Dust Considerations When Using Belt Entry Air to Ventilate Work Areas
- Enhanced Utilization of Personal Dust Monitor Feedback
- Equivalency of a Personal Dust Monitor to the Current United States Coal Mine Respirable Dust Sampler
- Laboratory and Field Performance of a Continuously Measuring Personal Respirable Dust Monitor
- Laboratory Evaluation of Pressure Differential-based Respirable Dust Detector Tube
- Laboratory Testing To Quantify Dust Entrainment During Shield Advance
- New Tools To Monitor Personal Exposure To Respirable Coal Mine Dust
- Respirable Dust Measured Downwind During Rock Dust Application