Mining Publication: A noise control package for vibrating screens
Original creation date: March 2013
Hearing loss was the second-most common illness reported to the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) in 2009. Furthermore, between 2000 and 2010, 30% of all noise-related injury complaints reported to MSHA were for coal preparation plant employees. Previous National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) studies have shown that vibrating screens are key noise sources to address in order to reduce coal preparation plant noise. In response, NIOSH researchers have developed a suite of noise controls for vibrating screens consisting of constrained layer damping (CLD) treatments, a tuned mechanism suspension, an acoustic enclosure, and spring inserts. Laboratory testing demonstrates that this noise control suite reduces the A-weighted sound power level of the vibrating screen by 6 dB. To provide a comparison to laboratory results and prove durability, field testing of two noise controls was performed on a vibrating screen in a working coal preparation plant. The spring inserts and CLD treatments were selected due to their ease of installation and practicability. Field testing of these controls yielded reductions that were comparable to laboratory results.
Authors: MJ Lowe, DS Yantek, J Yang, KC Schuster, JJ Mechling
Peer Reviewed Journal Article - March 2013
NIOSHTIC2 Number: 20042792
Lowe MJ, Yantek DS, Yang J, Schuster KC, Mechling JJ . A noise control package for vibrating screens. Noise Control Eng 2013 Mar-Apr; 61(2):127-144.
- Development and Evaluation of a Urethane Jacketed Tail Roller for Continuous Mining Machines
- A Dual Sprocket Chain as a Noise Control for a Continuous Mining Machine
- Evaluation of Stiffeners for Reducing Noise from Horizontal Vibrating Screens
- Hearing Loss Prevention in Mining - 2005
- Noise and Vibration Reduction of a Vibrating Screen
- Noise Controls for Vibrating Screen Mechanisms
- Structural Vibration as a Noise Source on Vibrating Screens
- Technology News 509 - A New Method to Clean Dust From Soiled Work Clothes
- Technology News 538: Acoustic Enclosure to Reduce Noise From Vibrating Screen Mechanism Housings
- What Does a Hearing Loss Sound Like?
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program