National Survey of the Diagnosis and Treatment of ADHD and Tourette Syndrome
The National Survey of the Diagnosis and Treatment of ADHD and Tourette Syndrome (NS-DATA) is a survey about children aged 2 to 15 years old in 2011-2012 who had ever been diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and/or Tourette syndrome (TS). Parents and guardians were asked about the emergence of symptoms, the context of the original diagnosis, the providers who made the diagnoses, the child’s current diagnostic status, the child’s current symptoms and level of impairment, and the types of clinical treatments/interventions and educational services the child receives. Results from the NS-DATA survey may help researchers and policymakers better understand the processes by which these conditions are diagnosed and treated. The NS-DATA was conducted as a follow-up to the 2011-2012 National Survey of Children’s Health.
The NS-DATA consists of two telephone interview modules. One was administered to respondents with children ever diagnosed with ADHD and the other was administered to respondents with children ever diagnosed with TS. If a child had ever been diagnosed with both conditions, respondents were administered both modules. The publicly released microdata file below includes all completed NS-DATA ADHD module telephone interviews (n = 2,966) among those initially sampled for ADHD. Due to small sample size, the TS module will not be released as a public use microdata file, but this data can be made available through the NCHS Research Data Center. For more information, please contact SLAITS.
- Sponsor(s): The National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD) and the National Center for Health Statistics
- Period of Data Collection: January 2014 – June 2014
- Sample Size: 3,018 children
- Sampling Frame: Children ages 2-15 years old in 2011-2012 whose parents or guardians completed the 2011-2012 National Survey of Children’s Health and reported that they had once been told by a doctor or other health care provider that the child had ADHD or TS, if they were still under 18 years of age at re-interview.
- Data Collection: Data were collected over the telephone. Data collection was conducted under contract with NORC at the University of Chicago. Strict confidentiality and privacy regulations apply to all contract and federal project staff for all data. For more information, visit confidentiality policy.
- Survey Instrument pdf icon[PDF – 508 KB]
- Methodology Report pdf icon[PDF – 4.64 MB]
- Frequently Asked Questions pdf icon[PDF – 620 KB]
- Dataset [ZIP – 278 KB]
- List of Variables and Frequency Counts pdf icon[PDF – 243 KB]
- SAS Input Programs
- Notice of Availability of Tourette Syndrome Pre-Research Data Center File pdf icon[PDF – 32 KB]
For more information, please contact SLAITS