Articles About Thalassemia
Study Finds Methods for Alpha-Thalassemia Screening and Reporting Vary Across Newborn Screening Programs
This study is about current screening practices to detect alpha thalassemia.
Study Highlights Opportunity to Improve Knowledge of and Familiarity with Thalassemia among Variety of California Healthcare Providers
The increase in number of patients with thalassemia living in California highlights the importance of provider knowledge about thalassemia in order to effectively serve these patients in their communities.
By staying committed to long-term treatment, people with thalassemia can enjoy a full life.
- Patterson S, Singleton A, Branscomb J, Nsonwu V, Spratling R. Transfusion complications in thalassemia: patient knowledge and perspectives. Frontiers in Medicine, Hematology. 2022; 9:772886.
- Lal A, Wong T, Keel S, et al. The transfusion management of beta thalassemia in the United States. Transfusion. 2021;61(10):3027-3039. doi:10.1111/trf.16640
- Mensah C, Sheth S. Optimal strategies for carrier screening and prenatal diagnosis of α- and β-thalassemia. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2021;2021(1):607-613. doi:10.1182/hematology.2021000296
- Rollins MR, Boudreaux J, Eckman J, Branscomb J, Zhou M, Snyder A. Intermittent transfusions for treatment of thalassemia in the state of Georgia, 2007-2016. Annals of Hematology and Oncology. 2021; 8(4): 1340.
- Bender M, Yusuf C, Davis T, et al. Newborn Screening Practices and Alpha-Thalassemia Detection — United States, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020;69:1269–1272.
- Radke T, Paulukonis S, Hulihan M, Feuchtbaum L. Providers’ Perspectives on Treating Patients with Thalassemia. JPediatr Hematol Oncol. 2019 Jul 25. Doi:10.1097/MPH. 0000000000001573. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fasano RM, Branscomb J, Lane PA, Josephson CD, Snyder AB, Eckman JR. Transfusion service knowledge and immunohaematological practices related to sickle cell disease and thalassemia Transfus Med. 2019 Feb 10.
- Spratling R, Lawrence RH. Facilitators and Barriers to Minority Blood Donations: A Systematic Review Nurs Res. 2019 Mar 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lal A, Wong TE, Andrews J, Balasa VV, Chung JH, Forester CM, et al. Transfusion practices and complications in thalassemia. Transfusion 2018 Sep 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Singleton A, Spratling R. A strategic planning tool for increasing African American blood donation. Health Promot Pract. 2018 May. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mainous AG 3rd, Carek PJ, Lynch K, Tanner RJ, Hulihan MM, Baskin J, et al. Effectiveness of clinical decision support based intervention in the improvement of care for adult sickle cell disease patients in primary care. J Am Board Fam Med. 2018;31(5):812-816.
- Fasano RM, Meyer EK, Branscomb J, White MS, Gibson RW, Eckman JR. Impact of red blood cell antigen matching on alloimmunization and transfusion complications in patients with sickle cell disease: A systematic review. Transfus Med Rev. 2018 Jul 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Yee MEM, Josephson CD, Winkler AM, Webb J, Luban NLC, Leong T, et al. Hemoglobin A clearance in children with sickle cell anemia on chronic transfusion therapy. Transfusion 2018;58(6):1363-1371.
- Yee MEM, Josephson CD, Winkler AM, Webb J, Luban NLC, Leong T, et al. Red blood cell minor antigen mismatches during chronic transfusion therapy for sickle cell anemia. Transfusion 2017;57(11):2738-2746.
To view additional recent articles on thalassemia, please see Cooley’s Anemia: 9th Symposium, sponsored by the New York Academy of Sciences and Cooley’s Anemia Foundation.