Policy & Recommendations
Below are links to relevant policy documents related to global water, sanitation, and hygiene-related topics from the United Nations (UN) and the Public Library of Science (PLoS).
- United Nations. Water Action Decade: 2018-2028. [PDF – 30 pages]
- United Nations. Clean Water and Sanitation: Why It Matters [PDF – 2 pages]
- UNICEF and World Health Organization. The Measurement and Monitoring of Water Supply, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Affordability: A Missing Element of Monitoring of Sustainable Development Goal Targets 6.1 and 6.2.
The articles below represent a four-part series focused on water and sanitation. They are meant to be read in order.
- Bartram J, Cairncross S. Hygiene, Sanitation, and Water: Forgotten Foundations of Health. PLoS Med. 2010;7(11):e1000367.
- Hunter PR, MacDonald AM, Carter RC. Water Supply and Health. PLoS Med. 2010;7(11):e1000361.
- Mara D, Lane J, Scott B, Trouba D. Sanitation and Health. PLoS Med. 2010;7(11):e1000363.
- Cairncross S, Bartram J, Cumming O, Brocklehurst C. Hygiene, Sanitation, and Water: What Needs to Be Done? PLoS Med. 2010;7(11):e1000365.