Safe and Healthy Diapering for Emergency Settings and Shelters
Print-and-Go Fact Sheet
- If possible, cover the diaper changing surface with disposable liner.
- Bring your supplies (e.g., clean diaper, wipes, diaper cream, plastic or waterproof bag for soiled clothing, extra clothes) to the diaper changing surface.
2. Clean Child
- Place the child on diapering surface and unfasten diaper.
- Clean the child’s diaper area with disposable wipes or a clean, damp cloth. Always wipe front to back!
- Keep soiled diaper/clothing away from any surfaces that cannot be easily cleaned. Securely bag soiled clothing.
3. Remove Trash
- Place used wipes in the soiled diaper.
- Discard the soiled diaper and wipes in the trash can.
4. Replace Diaper
- Slide a fresh diaper under the child.
- Apply diaper cream, if needed.
- Fasten the diaper and dress the child.
5. Wash Child's Hands
- Use soap and water to wash the child’s hands thoroughly.
- If handwashing facilities are not available at the diapering station, clean child’s hands with hand
sanitizer and wash child’s hands with soap and water as soon as possible.
- Place the child in a safe area (e.g., in a baby carrier on the floor beside you or with another guardian).
6. Clean Up
- Remove liner from the changing surface and discard in the trash can.
- Wipe up any visible soil with damp paper towels or a baby wipe.
- Wet the entire surface with disinfectant; make sure you read and follow the directions on the disinfecting spray, fluid or wipe.
7. Wash Your Hands
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- If handwashing facilities are not available at the diapering station, clean your hands with hand sanitizer and wash your hands with soap and water as soon as possible.