Choosing Home Water Filters & Other Water Treatment Systems
Step 4: Maintain your filters.
Filters that are not well maintained can do more harm than good, so it is crucial to follow all manufacturers’ instructions for proper maintenance. Change filters regularly to keep your drinking water healthy. Water softeners need to be regenerated (flushed) on a regular schedule.
People with compromised immune systems
Filters collect germs from water, so someone who is not immunocompromised should change the filter cartridges. Anyone changing the cartridges should wear gloves and wash hands afterward.
Other partner materials
- EPA. Water on Tap: What You Need to Know Cdc-pdf[PDF – 36 pages]External
- EPA. Filtration Facts Cdc-pdf[PDF – 7 pages]External
- NSF. Home Water Treatment DevicesExternal
- NSF. Product and Service ListingsExternal
- Water Systems Council. Well Water Treatment Options and Costs Cdc-pdf[PDF – 4 pages]External