09/02/2021: Lab Advisory: Shortage of COVID-19 Rapid Tests May Increase Demand for Laboratory Testing
Audience: Clinical Laboratory Professionals
Level: Laboratory Advisory
There is currently a temporary shortage in point-of-care (POC) and over-the-counter (OTC) test supplies. To help preserve rapid test kits and supplies and meet the current test demand, CDC recommends the use of laboratory-based testing whenever possible.
The United States Government continues to monitor the testing supply chain and remains in contact with diagnostic test manufacturers. These companies report strong availability of laboratory instruments, laboratory test kits and other supplies, and an increasing supply of POC and OTC tests.
If laboratory directors want to request assistance to connect with a diagnostics manufacturer, they may contact AdvaMedDx at firstname.lastname@example.org. AdvaMedDx is a division of the Advanced Medical Technology Association (AdvaMed) that represents more than 75 manufacturers of diagnostics tests and instruments.
- If you are a clinical or public health laboratory professional, contact LOCS.
- For media inquiries, contact the CDC Newsroom.
- For all other questions, contact CDC-INFO.
- Testing Strategies for SARS-CoV-2
- Information for Laboratories about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Laboratories
- CDC Coronavirus (COVID-19) Website
- CDC Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS)
- Clinical Laboratory COVID-19 Response Calls