06/14/2021: Lab Advisory: CDC Launches New COVID-19 Viral Testing Tool
Audience: Individuals Performing COVID-19 Testing
Level: Laboratory Advisory
On June 14, 2021, CDC launched the new COVID-19 Viral Testing Tool. This interactive web-based tool is designed to help both healthcare providers and individuals understand COVID-19 testing options. The tool complements the recently updated Interim Guidance for SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Testing and other CDC testing guidance.
For healthcare providers, the tool will provide clinical decision support to help determine what type of COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) testing they should perform. Healthcare providers can use this tool to quickly access the most relevant, actionable CDC testing-related content and use that information to make decisions about next steps:
- Whether or not to order testing and what kind of test to order
- The interpretation of the test result
- What to do with conflicting test results
- Whether or not confirmatory (follow-up) testing is necessary
- How vaccination impacts decisions for testing
For individuals who do not yet have a test result, the tool will help them determine what type of test to get. For individuals who have a test result, the tool will help them determine the appropriate next step(s), if any, based on the result.
We encourage you to share this new tool with your partners, colleagues, and friends.
- Testing Strategies for SARS-CoV-2
- Information for Laboratories about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Laboratories
- CDC Coronavirus (COVID-19) Website
- CDC Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS)
- Clinical Laboratory COVID-19 Response Calls
If you have any questions, please contact us at LOCS@cdc.gov.