05/02/2020: Lab Advisory: New LOINC In-Vitro Diagnostic (LIVD) Test Code Mapping for SARS-CoV-2 Test Results
Audience: Clinical Laboratory Professionals
Level: Laboratory Advisory
New LOINC In-Vitro Diagnostic (LIVD) Test Code Mapping for SARS-CoV-2 Test Results
CDC has posted a LOINC In-Vitro Diagnostic (LIVD) Test Code Mapping Guide for SARS-CoV-2 test results for clinical laboratories and instrument manufacturers. This specification supports the use of standardized LOINC and SNOMED Clinical Terms (CT) codes to improve the accuracy of reporting tests for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Using these harmonized LOINC and SNOMED-CT codes helps ensure that the same type of test is represented uniformly across the United States.
This LIVD specification, which maps all SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic tests that have received FDA Emergency Use Authorizations, was jointly developed by FDA, CDC, the IVD Industry Connectivity Consortium, the Regenstrief Institute, and the Association of Public Health Laboratories. The LIVD specification can be used for vendor IVD test transmission codes or manual test identification. The use of this mapping guide will reduce inaccuracies, improve the harmonization of laboratory codes between healthcare systems, and strengthen semantic interoperability for laboratory reporting.
Please refer to the mapping guide web page for additional information.
Online resources for coding-related sites:
- CDC COVID-19 Data and Reporting Q & A
- SARS-CoV-2 LOINC codesexternal icon and Basicsexternal icon
- SNOMED CT Basicsexternal icon
- FDA FAQs on Diagnostic Testing for SARS-CoV-2external icon
- FDA Emergency Use Authorizationsexternal icon
- NIH Value Set Authority for COVID-19external icon
- Interoperability Standards Advisory for COVID-19 Pandemicexternal icon