Infographic: Be Ready! Winter Weather
Be Ready! Winter Weather
- Weatherproof your home to protect against the cold.
- Install a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector in your home. Make sure the batteries are working!
- Have your chimney or flue inspected every year.
- Insulate walls and attic.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- If power lines are down, call your local utility and emergency services
- If power lines fall on your car, warn people not to touch the car or power lines.
- Make sure your car is ready for winter travel.
- Make a winter emergency kit to keep in your car.
- Keep gas tank full to avoid ice in tank and fuel lines.
- Replace worn tires and check tire air pressure.
- Check antifreeze level and have radiator system serviced.
- Prepare yourself for exposure to winter weather.
- Check out more tips on winter weather indoor safety.
- Never leave lit candles or other flames unattended.
- Bring your pets indoors as temperatures drop!
Page last reviewed: December 21, 2020, 09:55 AM
Content source: Center for Preparedness and Response