- Understanding Elder Abuse This fact sheet provides a basic overview of elder abuse. It is intended for the general public.
- World Report on Violence and Health [PDF 148 KB]
This report is the first comprehensive review of violence on a global scale. Chapter 5 provides detailed information on elder abuse.
- Definitions: Consistent definitions are necessary for obtaining accurate and reliable estimates of elder abuse.
- Data Sources: Data, including the number of violence-related injuries and deaths, help define the magnitude of the problem.
- Risk & Protective Factors: Risk and protective factors are important considerations in the development of prevention programs.
- Consequences: Elder abuse can have a devastating impact on victims, families, and communities.
- Prevention Strategies: Knowledge about what works to prevent elder abuse is growing.
- Translation: Strategies for distributing prevention information and ensuring widespread adoption within communities.
If you are, or if you suspect that someone you know, is the victim of elder abuse, please call:
National Center on Elder Abuse's Elder Care Locator at 1-800-667-1116.
Visit their Web site for more information.