Signs and SymptomsSymptoms may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure to ebolavirus...
TransmissionSpread through bodily fluids of a person who is sick with or has died from Ebola...
Risk of ExposureDuring outbreaks of Ebola, those at highest risk include health care workers and family...
OutbreaksList of all current and past outbreaks, outbreak chronology and references...
For Healthcare WorkersUpdated guidance for managing or preparing for Ebola in the U.S. and abroad...
PreventionThose at highest risk include health care workers and the family and friends of an infected individual...
DiagnosisDiagnosing Ebola in an individual who has been infected for only a few days is difficult...
TreatmentThe treatment of Ebola presents many challenges... there are few established prevention measures...
Guidance and Recommendations
- Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Hospitalized Patients Under Investigation (PUIs) for Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in U.S. Hospitals
- Interim Guidance for Environmental Infection Control in Hospitals for Ebola Virus
Laboratory (specimen collection, transport, testing, submission)
Protecting Healthcare Workers
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Monitoring and Movement of Persons with Potential Ebola Virus Exposure
- Guidance on Air Medical Transport (AMT) for Patients with Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Interim Guidance for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Systems and 9-1-1 Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) for Management of Patients Under Investigation (PUIs) for Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in the United States
The 2014 Ebola epidemic is the largest in history, affecting multiple countries in West Africa. Two imported cases, including one death, and two locally acquired cases in healthcare workers were reported in the United States. CDC and partners are taking precautions to prevent additional cases of Ebola in the United States.
Latest CDC Outbreak Information
Updated October 5, 2015
- October 5, 2015: Updated Case Counts (From WHO Situation Reports)
- September 25, 2015: Emergency Guideline: Implementation and management of contact tracing for Ebola virus disease (WHO, CDC) [PDF - 36 pages]
- September 25, 2015: Podcast: CDC Ebola Response Update
- September 10, 2015: Public Health Resources
Information for Specific Groups
- World Health Organization Global Alert and Response (GAR) Situation Reports
- World Health Organization's Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response (EPR)
- Guinea: Ebola epidemic declared, MSF launches emergency response
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) - Ebola Response
- USAID - Information for medical volunteers wanting to assist in the Ebola outbreak response
- State Ebola Protocols
- Page last reviewed: October 5, 2015
- Page last updated: October 5, 2015
- Content source: