Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
5th Edition, 2012
The Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases provides current guidelines for those directly involved in surveillance of vaccine-preventable diseases, especially personnel at the local health departments. For each of the vaccine-preventable diseases, this manual includes a chapter describing the importance of rapid case identification; the importance of surveillance; disease reduction goals; case definitions (including clinical description and case classifications); epidemiologically important data to be collected during case investigation; activities for enhancing surveillance; activities for case investigation; and activities for outbreak control. Other chapters include information on surveillance indicators; surveillance data analyses; reporting adverse events following vaccination; and enhancing surveillance. In addition, the manual includes a section reserved for insertion of state-specific guidance for VPD surveillance and extensive appendices.
List of Front Matter
- Front portion of manual (Aug 2012)
Cover, spine, title pages (titles and acknowledgements), acronyms, definition of terms, table of contents, introduction, etc.
Top of Page
List of Appendices
Below is a list of appendices for the Manual of Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases. As they are completed, a link will be provided to the appendix. Please check back often. If you wish to be notified by email when this web page is updated and hence when appendices are added, please use the Get Email Updates link located at the top of this page.
- Appendix 1: Collection of Specimens for Isolation of C. diphtheriae [23 KB, 2 pages] (Ch. 1)
- Appendix 2: Guidelines for managing a suspected case of diphtheria and for managing close contacts [219 KB, 3 pages] (Ch. 1)
- Appendix 3: CDC Diphtheria Worksheet [517 KB, 3 pages] (Ch. 1)
- Appendix 4: Haemophilus influenzae Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 2)
- Appendix 5: Haemophilus influenzae type b Vaccine and Extended Information Worksheet (Ch. 2)
removed - Haemophilus influenzae type b Worksheet is no longer in use.
- Appendix 6: Hepatitis Data Collection Worksheet [807 KB, 6 pages] (Ch. 3 and 4) Feb 2009
- Appendix 7: Measles Virus Isolation Instructions [298 KB, 4 pages] (Ch. 7) Jan 2009
- Appendix 8: Measles Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 7)
- Appendix 9: Meningococcal Disease Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 8)
- Appendix 10: Mumps Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 9)
- Appendix 11: Pertussis Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 10)
- Appendix 12: Pertussis Death Worksheet (Ch. 10)
removed - Pertussis Death Worksheet is no longer in use.
- Appendix 13: Streptococcus pneumoniae Surveillance Worksheet [85 KB, 2 pages](Ch. 11) Feb 2009
- Appendix 14: Suspected Polio Case worksheet Investigation of suspected case of poliomyelitis (Ch. 12)
- Appendix 15: Collection of Specimens for Typing of Rubella Virus [222 KB, 2 pages] (Ch. 14) Jan 2009
- Appendix 16: Rubella Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 14)
- Appendix 17: Congenital Rubella Syndrome Case Report [72 KB, 2 pages] (Ch. 15) Feb 2009
- Appendix 18: Tetanus Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 16)
- Appendix 19: Varicella Death Investigation Worksheet (Ch. 17)
- Appendix 20: Varicella Outbreak Reporting & Surveillance Worksheets (Ch. 17)
- Appendix 21: Updated Guidelines for Evaluating Public Health Surveillance Systems [90 KB, 1 page] (Ch. 18) Jan 2009
- Appendix 22: VAERS Form [70 KB, 1 page] (Ch. 21) Jan 2009
- Appendix 23: CDC Specimen Submission Form (50.34)(Ch. 22) Jan 2013
Link to page describes updated form and protocols in effect Feb 4, 2013.
- Appendix 24: Interstate Shipment of Etiologic Agents / Packaging and Shipping of Biomedical Material [532 KB, 4 pages] (Ch. 22) Feb 2009
Top of Page