Standards for Practice: Vaccine Recommendation
Strongly recommend vaccines that your patients need, whether your office stocks them or not.
For some patients, a recommendation might not be enough. SHARE important information to help patients make informed decisions about vaccinations:
SHARE the tailored reasons why the recommended vaccine is right for the patient given his or her age, health status, lifestyle, occupation, or other risk factors.
HIGHLIGHT positive experiences with vaccines (personal or in your practice), as appropriate, to reinforce the benefits and strengthen confidence in vaccination.
ADDRESS patient questions and any concerns about the vaccine, including side effects, safety, and vaccine effectiveness in plain and understandable language.
REMIND patients that vaccines protect them and their loved ones from many common and serious diseases.
EXPLAIN the potential costs of getting the disease, including serious health effects, time lost (such as missing work or family obligations), and financial costs.
- Factsheets with information to help address common questions about adult vaccines:
- Addressing Common Questions about Hepatitis A Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Hepatitis B Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Pneumococcal Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Influenza Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Zoster (Shingles) Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Td/Tdap Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Patient education materials
- Vaccine Recommendation fact sheet with tips on answering common questions about adult immunization [2 pages]
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.