PNSS is a pregnancy-based system with only one record for each
pregnancy included in the table analysis.
- Prenatal data are collected at the
first prenatal visit to the clinic and postpartum data are
collected at the postpartum visit after delivery. PNSS
contributors combine information from these different time
periods into a single record.
- Records are selected based on the infant's date of birth or
expected date of birth for the reporting period of January 1
through December 31.
In the PNSS data tables, records are coded
- A complete record contain both prenatal and
- A prenatal record contains only data that were
collected when the woman enrolled in the public health program
- A postpartum record contains data that were collected
when the woman entered the program after delivery.
Prenatal and postpartum records represent records that could
not be linked as a complete record because data from one time
period was missing. These records are included in the table