2011 Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance(1)
Summary of Health Indicators
Children Aged Less Than 5 years (2)
|Summary of Health Indicators (3)|
|Height and Weight (5,6)|
|< 5 Yrs Short Stature||7,776,521||
|< 5 Yrs Underweight||7,776,521||
|< 5 Yrs Obese||7,776,521||
|>= 2 Yrs Overweight||3,480,880||
|>= 2 Yrs Obese||3,480,880||
|Breastfed At Least 6 Months||818,127||
|Breastfed At Least 12 Months||939,360||
|Smoking in Household||4,196,966||
|Less Than or Equal to 2 Hours TV Viewing per Day (9)||1,236,358||
|(1) Reporting period is January 1 through December 31.
(2) Analyses based on one record per child.
(3) Excludes records with unknown data or errors.
(4) Infants born during the reporting period included in the analysis.
(5) Based on 2006 WHO growth chart percentiles for children under 2 years of age; short stature is defined as and length-for-age <= 2.3rd percentile, underweight is defined as weight-for-length <= 2.3rd percentile, and high weight-for-length (labeled as "Obese") is defined as >= 97.7th percentile.
(6) Based on 2000 CDC growth chart percentiles for children 2 years of age and older; short stature is defined as height-for-age < 5th percentile, underweight is defined as BMI-for-age < 5th percentile, overweight is defined as BMI-for-age >= 85th to < 95th percentile, and obesity is defined as >= 95th percentile.
(7) Based on 1998 CDC MMWR, "Recommendations to Prevent and Control Iron Deficiency in the United States", altitude adjusted, children 6 months of age and older included in the analysis.
(8) Infants born during the reporting period included in the Ever Breastfed analysis. Infants who turned 6 months of age during the reporting period by/on their date of visit included in the Breastfed At Least 6 Months analysis. Children who turned 12 months of age during the reporting period by/on their date of visit included in the Breastfed At Least 12 Months analysis.
(9) Children aged 2 years and older included in the analysis.
* Percentages are not calculated if < 100 records are available for analysis after exclusions.