Prevention & Control
To prevent cysticercosis, the following precautions should be taken:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water after using the toilet, changing diapers, and before handling food.
- Teach children the importance of washing hands to prevent infection.
- Wash and peel all raw vegetables and fruits before eating. Avoid raw vegetables and fruits that cannot be peeled when traveling in developing countries.
- When in a developing country: Drink only bottled or boiled (for 1 minute) water or carbonated (bubbly) drinks in cans or bottles, do not drink fountain drinks or any drinks with ice cubes, and filter water through an "absolute 1 micron or less filter" AND dissolve iodine tablets in the filtered water.
More on: Handwashing
"Absolute 1 micron" filters can be found in camping/outdoor supply stores.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO