Obesity Prevalence Maps
Obesity prevalence in 2013 varies across states and territories
- No state had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%.
- 7 states and the District of Columbia had a prevalence of obesity between 20% and <25%.
- 23 states had a prevalence of obesity between 25% and <30%.
- 18 states had a prevalence of obesity between 30% and <35%.
- 2 states (Mississippi and West Virginia) had a prevalence of obesity of 35% or greater.
- The South had the highest prevalence of obesity (30.2%), followed by the Midwest (30.1%), the Northeast (26.5%), and the West (24.9%).
- The prevalence of obesity was 27.0% in Guam and 27.9% in Puerto Rico.+
Prevalence* of Self-Reported Obesity Among U.S. Adults by State and Territory, BRFSS, 2013
Source: Behavorial Risk Factor Surveillance Systems, CDC.
*Prevalence estimates reflect BRFSS methodological changes started in 2011. These estimates should not be compared to prevalence estimates before 2011.
+Guam and Puerto Rico were the only US territories with obesity data available on the 2013 BRFSS
Prevalence of Self –Reported Obesity Among U.S. Adults by Race/Ethnicity and State, BRFSS 2011-2013
Combining BRFSS data from 2011 through 2013, non-Hispanic blacks had the highest prevalence of self-reported obesity (37.6%), followed by Hispanics (30.6%) and non-Hispanic whites (26.6%).
Changed System, New Baseline
Like all public health surveillance systems, BRFSS must occasionally change its methods to adapt to the changing world and to maintain validity. The improvement changes to the BRFSS affect obesity prevalence estimates, and mean that estimates from data collected in 2010 and before cannot be compared estimates from data collected in 2011 and forward. Learn more about the changes to the BRFSS.
Download the Historical Maps
The history of the increase in state obesity prevalence is depicted in a PowerPoint slide presentation format. (31 slides total, PPT-3Mb). Estimates of obesity prevalence from 2011 forward cannot be compared to estimates from previous years.
This is also available as a text-only Acrobat file [PDF-472k].
- Page last reviewed: June 16, 2015
- Page last updated: June 16, 2015
- Content source: