NIOSH, AAOHN Will Partner on Research and Outreach Efforts to Prevent Occupational Injuries and Illnesses
Contact: Fred Blosser (202) 401-3749
February 21, 2006
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, Inc. (AAOHN) will partner in research and outreach activities to prevent occupational injuries and illnesses, under an agreement signed on Jan. 27, 2006.
Partnership initiatives defined under the agreement, which was signed by NIOSH Director John Howard and AAOHN President Susan A. Randolph, include:
- Identifying priority research needs in the occupational and environmental health nursing community, and the workplaces and communities they address.
- Translating relevant research findings into effective products that address worker safety and health needs, and disseminating the products to partner organizations that can put them into practice.
- Developing and disseminating information at appropriate conferences, and communicating information through diverse communications media.
- Sharing injury statistics information to identify research and intervention needs.
“Throughout the years AAOHN and NIOSH have collaborated to accomplish the goals of both organizations, and we are very pleased to announce this formal partnership,” Ms. Randolph said. “We are committed to working together with NIOSH on research and outreach efforts that promote safe and healthful work environments and prevent worker injury and illness.”
“AAOHN is a valued partner representing a community of stakeholders who are on the front lines of occupational safety and health every day,” Dr. Howard said. “Through this agreement, we look forward to furthering our teamwork under the National Occupational Research Agenda, the WorkLife Initiative, and many other avenues of collaboration.”
NIOSH and AAOHN pledge under the agreement to meet periodically to share information, reassess and modify partnership activities, and evaluate results. The agreement remains in effect until October 2008 and can be extended.
NIOSH is the federal agency that conducts research and makes recommendations for safe, healthy, and secure workplaces. It is part of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Established in 1942, AAOHN is a 10,000 member professional association dedicated to advancing the health, safety and productivity of domestic and global workforces by providing education, research, public policy and practice resources for occupational and environmental health nurses. These professionals are the largest group of health care providers serving the worksite.
- Page last reviewed: August 6, 2012
- Page last updated: August 6, 2012
- Content source: