SMALL BUSINESS RESOURCE GUIDE
Articles on Safety and Compliance
NFIB: Workplace Safety Articles and Resources
A list of brief articles for small businesses on a variety of safety and health topics, including:
- Disaster planning
- Lifting injuries
- Workers' compensation
- Burglary and robbery prevention
- EPA lead regulations
- Safe on-the-job driving
- Preventing workplace violence with weapons policies
Provided by the National Federation of Independent Businesses.
Inc.: 9 Avoidable Workplace Health and Safety Hazards
The article contains simple, cost-effective tips for avoiding workplace hazards. It includes links to examples and resources.
- Maintaining staff continuity during illness outbreaks
- Job hazard analysis
- Common types of workplace injuries and fatalities
- Employee awareness and training
Provided by Inc. magazine.
Small Business Notes: Employee Health and Safety
The article discusses the business value of a safety program. It includes links to
- Checklists for controlling a variety of hazards
- A four-point safety plan
- Instructions for self-inspection
Provided by Small Business Notes.
County Business Patterns
In. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Commerce; 2008.
89% of US workplaces have fewer than 20 employees.
General industry safety inspection checklists from several sources organized by subtopics including:
- General safety
- Job hazard analyses
- Risk assessment tools
- Related guidelines
- Oregon-specific information
Provided by the Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology at the Oregon Health and Science University.
Checklists for controlling a variety of hazards and instructions for self-inspection. (The checklists follow an article on the business case for safety and a four-point safety plan.)
Provided by Small Business Notes.
Source: Dennis J, William J. (Ed.). National Small Business Poll: Workplace Safety. Washington, D.C.: National Federation of Independent Businesses; 2002.
According to a National Federation of Independent Business membership survey, the number one small business issue is the cost and availability of insurance
Environmental Health and Safety Freeware
Freeware for education and training on health and safety topics that range from violence in the workplace to indoor air quality.
Provided by Environmental Health and Safety Freeware.
Government Materials on Small Business Safety
A listing of Federal government resources to help small business owner/operators comply with workplace safety and health requirements.
Provided by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Publications and Training
WorkSafeBC: Small Business
Although intended for small businesses in British Columbia, Canada, much of this information may help businesses in other countries, including:
- A small business safety cost calculator
- Descriptions of hazards in different industries
- Profiles of small businesses that have made significant commitments to safety management
Provided by WorkSafeBC, the workers' compensation provider for British Columbia, Canada.
Small Business Resources
These general health and safety materials for small businesses apply across many industries:
- Training guide
- Basics of CAL/OSHA
- Safety orientation checklist
- Controlling hazards
- Safety for teen workers
Provided by the UCLA Worker Occupational Safety and Health Training and Education Program.
Regulations for Young Workers
OSHA: Young Workers
Rules for employing young workers (under 18). Written in a "frequently asked questions" format, the information is organized into five categories:
- General Information
- Work hours
- Jobs and Training
Provided by OSHA, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, U.S. Department of Labor.
Sample Plans, Fact Sheets, and Checklists
Washington State: Small Business Basics
Customized information for small businesses in Washington to help them manage safety and health issues. Provides required posters, a video library, employee training kits, a sample accident prevention program, and step-by-step checklists to help businesses
- Create and put into place a safety plan
- Hire safe workers
- Provide training
- Report and investigate accidents and near-misses
- Manage industrial insurance risk
Provided by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.
Tools and Consulting Services
Safety at Work: A Journey to Safety Excellence
Provides safety information and offers consultation services and other products:
- Employee perception surveys
- Complete assessments
- Risk reduction processes
- Benchmarking and performance measurement
- News from other safety and health sources
Provided by the National Safety Council.
Union and Worker Safety, Rights, and Contact Information
Preventing Workplace Hazards
A downloadable guide which presents a practical approach for solving health and safety problems. Although intended for use by workers and their unions in New Jersey, small businesses will also benefit from these three categories of information:
- What workers and unions can do to protect workers
- Worker rights
- Health and safety committees
- Documenting hazards
- Promoting workplace improvements
- Outside help
- Protection from discrimination for reporting problems
- Worker training
- The media
- Regulatory agencies
- Workers compensation
- Common hazards
- OSHA/NJPEOSH standards
- Phone numbers and websites
Provided by the New Jersey Work Environment Council. Most information is applicable in other states.
Workers' Compensation Blog
Workers' Comp Insider
Includes links to more than 50 business-related blogs and covers topics such as:
- Risk management
- Business insurance
- Workplace health and safety
- Occupational medicine
- Injured workers
- Insurance web tools and technology
Provided by Lynch Ryan, a workers' compensation insurance provider.
- Page last reviewed: March 5, 2014
- Page last updated: March 5, 2014
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Education and Information Division