Mining Contract: Performance and Safety Investigation of Emergency Backup Batteries and Battery Charging Systems for Underground Mining Applications
This contract will address issues associated with battery selection, use, and charging for the underground coal mining environment, specifically with respect to MINER Act requirements for mine communications and personnel tracking technology. Such technology will require battery use for primary and/or backup electrical power. Detailed analysis and recommendations will be reported for the following topics:
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is complete. To receive a copy of the final report, send a request to OMSHR@cdc.gov.
The final report presents the results from analyses of mine emergencies, communications and tracking systems, and relevant battery technology, as well as recommendations for improved battery use in underground mine communications and tracking systems. The report includes the following:
- The summary of a review of past mine emergencies and resulting conclusions and recommendations with respect to communications and tracking technology.
- Suggested strategies and protocols for improving communication and tracking system operation time while under battery power.
- A thorough review of relevant battery chemistries and battery charging technology, focusing on performance and safety.
- An examination of battery technology for portable components of communications and tracking systems, including safety issues associated with lithium-chemistry batteries.
- An examination of battery technology for stationary components of communications and tracking systems, including protection and hardening strategies.
- Supporting and background information on mine emergencies, communications and tracking systems technology and approval, and battery technology.
- Application of Extreme Power Line Communication Methods to Mine Environments
- Development of Guidelines for Safely Managing Electrical Equipment and Systems in Underground Mines During Mine Emergencies and Other Abnormal Circumstances
- Man Mountain’s Refuge: Refuge Chamber Training Instructor’s Guide and Trainee’s Problem Book
- Mining Communications and Tracking
- Passive Fiber Optic System for Locating, Tracking, and Communicating with Personnel in Coal Mines
- Practical Risk Assessment Guidelines for Identifying, Assessing, and Mitigating Stored Energy Hazards in Underground Coal Mines During and After a Mine Emergency
- Recommendations for Refuge Chamber Operations Training
- Technology News 546 - Medium Frequency Mine Emergency Communications—An Emerging Technology
- Ultra-Low Frequency Through-the-Earth Communication Technology
- Wireless Mesh Mine Communication System
- Page last reviewed: 7/18/2016
- Page last updated: 9/18/2012
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program