Mining Project: Battery Safety Enhancements for Underground Coal Mines
To conduct research needed to make recommendations and guide policy or program decisions regarding the safety of batteries used in underground coal mines.
This project conducted research needed to make recommendations and guide policy or program decisions regarding the safety of batteries used in underground coal mines.
The research objectives for this project were addressed by way of the following project tasks:
- to conduct experimental research of lithium battery ignition of flammable methane-air mixtures with the aim of demonstrating the potential ignition hazard of lithium batteries considered intrinsically safe, and then to identify potentially safer lithium chemistry alternatives based on comparative experimental evidence;
- to gather information from large-format lead acid battery manufacturers, refurbishment service providers, and equipment users with the aim of developing recommendations for enhancing battery assembly construction, charging cable protection, and providing ignition safe disconnects; and
- to develop guidelines to improve battery safety for underground coal mine communications and tracking system equipment, focusing on battery selection, integration, use, and maintenance.
- Analyses of Mobile Equipment Fires for All U.S. Surface and Underground Coal and Metal/Nonmetal Mining Categories, 1990-1999
- Analysis of Mine Fires for All U.S. Underground and Surface Coal Mining Categories: 1990-1999
- Are lithium-ion cells intrinsically safe?
- Continuous Wave Laser Ignition Thresholds of Coal Dust Clouds
- The Effects of Ventilation and Preburn Time on Water Mist Extinguishing of Diesel Fuel Pool Fires
- From Scotia to Brookwood, Fatal US Underground Coal Mine Explosions Ignited in Intake Air Courses
- Further Study of the Intrinsic Safety of Internally Shorted Lithium and Lithium-ion Cells Within Methane-air
- NIOSH Research for Monitoring and Controlling Methane at U.S. Underground Coal Mining Operations
- Performance and Safety Investigation of Emergency Backup Batteries and Battery Charging Systems for Underground Mining Applications
- Practical Risk Assessment Guidelines for Identifying, Assessing, and Mitigating Stored Energy Hazards in Underground Coal Mines During and After a Mine Emergency
- An Underground Coal Mine Fire Preparedness and Response Checklist: The Instrument
- Page last reviewed: 10/22/2016
- Page last updated: 10/22/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program