Mining Contract: Development of Guidelines for Safely Managing Electrical Equipment and Systems in Underground Mines During Mine Emergencies and Other Abnormal Circumstances
This contract developed guidelines to enable workers and emergency response personnel to safely manage electrical equipment and systems in an underground coal mine during a mine emergency or under other abnormal circumstances. Guidelines are needed to address a lack of mining industry consensus regarding interpretation and implementation of 30 CFR requirements and best practices for shutting off electrical power in a mine emergency to avoid possible ignition of a hazardous atmosphere. The guidelines address other key issues such as: maintaining operation of critical mine monitoring and communication/tracking systems, coordinating with necessary mine evacuation and rescue operations, and compliance with current regulatory requirements, including new MINER Act provisions.
Contract Status & Impact
The contract is complete. To receive a copy of the final report, send a request to OMSHR@cdc.gov, subject=Requesting final report for contract 200-2008-26556.
The final report contains results from an analysis of current problems related to disconnecting electrical power during mine emergencies, as well as recommendations for industry-wide guidelines for managing electrical power systems and equipment during mine emergencies. The report includes the following:
- A detailed summary of a review of past mine emergencies, and resulting conclusions regarding the management of electrical power systems during mine emergencies
- A discussion of electrical equipment issues relating to mine emergencies, including an overview of communications, personnel tracking, and mine atmosphere monitoring equipment, and a review of various standards applicable to electrical equipment used in potentially explosive atmospheres
- An explanation of how expert opinion was considered and used in the subject study
- A comparison of existing 30 CFR regulations and current common practices for managing power systems during emergencies
- Comprehensive guidelines for safely managing electrical equipment and systems in an underground coal mine during a mine emergency or under other abnormal circumstances, including details on the approach and basis for guideline development
Publications & Products
- Performance and Safety Investigation of Emergency Backup Batteries and Battery Charging Systems for Underground Mining Applications (2014-01)
A contract to address issues associated with battery selection, use, and charging for the underground coal mining environment, specifically with respect to MINER Act requirements for mine communications and personnel tracking technology.