Mining News & Articles
- OMSHR Welcomes a New Director to its Spokane Mining Research DivisionJanuary 10, 2016Meet Dr. Eric A. Lutz, the new Director of OMSHR's Spokane Mining Research Division.
- Miner's Day - December 6, 2015December 4, 2015 NewsworthyCelebrate National Miner's Day on December 6, 2015 to honor our miners and the hard work they do to support our society and build a safe and prosperous mining industry.
- Through-the-earth Communications Technologies AvailableSeptember 1, 2015 NewsworthyA feature story about through-the-earth communcations technologies available for mine emergencies.
- BG 4 Breathing Apparatus Training Software ReleasedSeptember 1, 2015The BG 4 Benching Trainer Software is an interactive software program developed by NIOSH and targeted as reinforcement training of benching competencies for mine rescue personnel.
- Rapid Rescue Drilling Equipment Transferred to National Mine Health and Safety AcademyJune 16, 2015 NewsworthyA feature story about the transfer of rapid rescue drilling equipment to the National Mine Health and Safety Academy.
- New Drill Bit Isolator Reduces NoiseApril 14, 2015 NewsworthyNIOSH-developed technology reduces drilling noise for coal mine roof bolting machines by 3-5 decibels. A drill bit isolator using this technology is now commercially available.
- Announcing New Publication on Refuge AlternativesApril 1, 2015Find out about the latest research findings on the use of built-in-place refuge alternatives in underground coal mine refuge chambers.
- NIOSH OMSHR at the 2015 SME Annual MeetingFebruary 13, 2015NIOSH will showcase some of its latest mine safety and health innovations at the 2015 Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME) Annual Conference and Expo February 15–18 in Denver, Colorado.
- Fatigue Management for Haul Truck Drivers: A Low-Tech Solution for a Small MineOctober 28, 2014A feature story of how a small mine implemented a fatigue management program for its haul truck drivers.
- Data Detectives: How OMSHR Corrected a Century-old ErrorJuly 21, 2014A feature describing data from 1911 that was misreported as a mine disaster.
- Brody Mine Accident Highlights Need for Retreat Mining SafetyMay 20, 2014 NewsworthyA short feature story describing OMSHR products on retreat mining.
- Announcing Two New Sister Publications on Refuge AlternativesMarch 27, 2014 NewsworthyAnnouncing Two New Sister Publications on Refuge Alternatives
- New Equipment and Protocol for Drilling Large-Diameter Rescue BoreholesJanuary 28, 2014 NewsworthyA feature story about new equipment and protocol for drilling large-diameter rescue boreholes.
- Helmet Video Recorder Helps to Identify High Dust ExposureJune 5, 2013Mine operators have a new tool for identifying specific work tasks that cause high respirable dust exposure for workers.
- NIOSH Illumination Research Addresses Visual Performance Needs with LED TechnologyApril 10, 2013 NewsworthyThis feature article describes NIOSH efforts to develop improved illumination technologies for the mining environment.
- OMSHR at the 2013 SME Annual MeetingFebruary 20, 2013A feature page about OMSHR activities at the SME Annual Meeting.
- New National Survey of the U.S. Mining Population PublishedDecember 14, 2012The most comprehensive survey of our nation’s mining population.
- Proximity Detection: A Continuing Research ImperativeDecember 3, 2012December 3, 2012 feature on proximity detection research
- Ground Control Research: Considering Local Geology to Improve Longwall Pillar StabilityNovember 14, 2012 NewsworthyA description of two Ground Control Program projects that aim to enhance mine safety through improved longwall pillar designs that consider a mine’s local geology.
- Dust Control Handbooks for Coal Mining and Metal/Nonmetal MiningNovember 9, 2012 NewsworthyA pair of new handbooks from NIOSH to identify and promote engineering controls to protect mine workers from overexposures to dust.
- OMSHR's New WebsiteSeptember 24, 2012 NewsworthyOMSHR’s New Website
- OMSHR Activities at MINExpo 2012September 24, 2012A summary of OMSHR activities at the 2012 MineExpo conference.
- Coal Mine Explosion Prevention AccomplishmentsSeptember 14, 2012Coal Mine Explosion Prevention Accomplishments
- Inundations Can Put Miners at Risk by Blocking Escape RoutesJune 30, 2012 NewsworthyInundation, or water suddenly entering a mine, is not that uncommon.
- Deep Metal Mine Fatality Raises Questions on Use of Cemented FillMay 20, 2012 NewsworthyIn light of recent accidents in metal mines, some fatal, NIOSH OMSHR is again studying the use of cemented fill in mining operations.
- Coal Mine Explosion PreventionDecember 9, 2011 NewsworthyPreventing coal mine explosions requires a suite of control strategies and NIOSH continues to conduct research to develop more effective intervention measures.
- Trend in Black Lung Cases Concerns NIOSH ResearchersDecember 9, 2011Implementation of dust control technology and improved dust monitoring are effective ways for mine operators to reduce exposures to respirable coal dust. OMSHR is working to assist the industry’s efforts to limit miner exposure to dust.
- Technology for Real-Time Monitoring of Coal Dust Explosion HazardsDecember 5, 2011 NewsworthyThe NIOSH Coal Dust Explosibility Meter (CDEM) is available for purchase and use in underground coal mines. A recent Information Circular supports its use for real-time explosibility testing of rock and coal dust samples.
- Intelligent Proximity Detection to Improve Miner SafetyNovember 28, 2011 NewsworthyNIOSH is developing a prototype intelligent system that provides enhanced protection by continuously monitoring miners’ positions in relation to the machine and established safety zones.
- Rib Falls: A Major Ground Control IssueJune 29, 2011NIOSH's OMSHR is starting a new project to produce guidance and tools to improve management of rib fall hazards.
- New Rock Dusting Standard to Prevent Coal Mine ExplosionsMay 25, 2011NIOSH recommends a new standard of 80% total incombustible content be required in intake airways of bituminous coal mines in the absence of methane.
- Page last reviewed: 9/19/2015
- Page last updated: 2/2/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program