Resources for Older Americans
The National Center for Health Statistics provides statistics, data, and resources to monitor the health of older Americans, and to assess our health protection goals of increasing the number of older adults who live longer, high-quality, productive, and independent lives.
Key Aging Statistics
FastStats - Older Persons Health
Important indicators and links on the health of the elderly.
Health Data Interactive
Interactive data tables including information on older Americans.
Data Sources With an Aging Focus
Longitudinal Studies of Aging (LSOA)
A multicohort study of persons aged 70 years and over measuring changes in health, functional status, living arrangements, and health services utilization.
National Home and Hospice Care Survey (NHHCS)
Data on agencies, patients, and care services with a separate survey of home health aides.
National Nursing Home Survey (NNHS)
Data on nursing homes, residents, and care services with a separate survey of nursing assistants.
- NCHS Data Briefs
- Prevalence of Obesity Among Older Adults in the United States, 2007–2010
- Multiple Chronic Conditions Among Adults Aged 45 and Over: Trends Over the Past 10 Years
- Osteoporosis or Low Bone Mass at the Femur Neck or Lumbar Spine in Older Adults: United States, 2005–2008
- Potentially Preventable Emergency Department Visits by Nursing Home Residents: United States, 2004
- Health Care Utilization Among Adults Aged 55-64 Years: How Has It Changed Over the Past 10 Years?
- Vision, Hearing, Balance, and Sensory Impairment in Americans Aged 70 Years and Over: United States, 1999-2006
- Prevalence and Management of Pain, by Race and Dementia Among Nursing Home Residents: United States, 2004
- Racial Differences in Functioning Among Elderly Nursing Home Residents, 2004
- Aging Differently: Physical Limitations Among Adults Aged 50 years and Over: United States, 2001-2007
- Pressure Ulcers Among Nursing Home Residents: United States, 2004
- State of Aging and Health in America 2007 Report [PDF - 4.5 MB]
- Older Americans Update 2010: Key Indicators of Well-Being
Other Data Sources
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
- National Health Interview Survey
- National Hospital Discharge Survey
- Data Linkage Activities
- National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS)
- National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS)
- Mortality component of the National Vital Statistics System
Please see the Data and Statistics page for more data sources, statistics, and resources
- Page last reviewed: November 6, 2015
- Page last updated: August 5, 2012
- Content source: