Investigation Update on the Noordam
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Noordam
Voyage Dates:10/16 - 11/1
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 159 of 1826(8.71%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 19 of 784 (2.42%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew onboard the ship took the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection according to their outbreak prevention and response plan
- Made announcements to both notify passengers and encourage case reporting
- Sent two corporate public health officials to the ship to assist with the outbreak response and management
- Made the required initial notification report to CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and continue to make update reports twice daily
- Are collecting clinical specimens from passenger and crew cases to be submitted to CDC laboratories for analysis
- Have a cleaning/disinfection team scheduled to board when the ship arrives in Ft. Lauderdale
CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program will have two officers meeting the ship in Ft. Lauderdale to conduct a targeted environmental review of the outbreak and response activities.
On the voyage immediately following the outbreak, the case counts for both passenger and crew returned to expected levels.