Investigation Update on the Norwegian Jewel
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Jewel
Voyage Dates: 10/8-10 /18
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 86 of 2098 (4.1%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 11 of 1084 (1.0%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- collected stool specimens for analysis,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- notified oncoming passengers,
- sent additional support to clean and disinfect the ship, and
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
On October 18th, a team of VSP staff boarded the ship in New York to conduct a targeted environmental health investigation and make recommendations. During the following voyage (sailing dates: 10/18-10/28), the level of illness decreased but was not at expected levels but by the next voyage (10/28-11/09), the number of ill people returned to expected levels.