Investigation Update on the Regal Princess
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Regal Princess
Voyage Dates: 3/13-3/25
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 69 of 1504 (4.6%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 8 of 680 (1.2%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
VSP staff boarded the ship on March 24th and in St. Thomas and sailed on it through the remainder of the voyage. They conducted a targeted environmental health investigation, an epidemiological evaluation, and made recommendations.
By the next voyage, the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009
- Page last updated: July 20, 2009
- Content source: