Children at higher risk for lead exposure
- are poor,
- are members of racial-ethnic minority groups,
- are recent immigrants,
- live in older, poorly maintained rental properties, or
- have parents who are exposed to lead at work.
Membership in one of these groups does not predict risk in every community, and children in these groups who are not exposed to lead do not have elevated blood lead levels.
- Page last reviewed: June 15, 2013
- Page last updated: February 23, 2015
- Content source: National Center for Environmental Health, Division of Emergency and Environmental Health Services