HHLPSS: Healthy Homes and Lead Poisoning Surveillance System
HHLPSS is a web-based replacement for the Systematic Tracking of Elevated Lead Levels and Remediation (STELLAR) system supported by the CDC Healthy Homes and Lead Poisoning Prevention Program.
For more than 20 years, STELLAR has been used by many state and local childhood lead poisoning prevention programs (CLPPPs) for blood lead surveillance, collection of environmental samples, and individual and environmental case management.
Through HHLPSS, in addition to the variables traditionally tracked with STELLAR, CDC provides a modernized system capable of tracking many of the non-lead housing characteristics associated with other adverse health effects. HHLPSS also makes use of the many current generation web-based technologies to improve overall efficiency and user experience.
As with STELLAR, HHLPSS provides capabilities to assist CLPPPs in tracking the following lead-related activities:
- Screening of children for toxicity.
- Identification and confirmation of cases.
- Medical management of cases.
- Investigation and abatement of lead hazards, primarily from leaded-paint in the home environment of cases.
- Allows for expanded collection and tracking of non-paint lead hazards.
- Provides healthy homes data collection tools and reports.
- Imports electronic laboratory records in HL7 format.
- Provides a centralized state-based surveillance repository.
For more information or to begin the process of obtaining the HHLPSS software package,
please call HHLPSS Support at 770-488-4944 or send an email to HHLPSS@cdc.gov.