Steps to Wellness: A Guide to Implementing the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans in the Workplace
The Steps to Wellness is a tool kit that helps employers create or expand wellness programs by increasing the physical activity of employees. The tool kit has seven steps and provides:
- an overview of the Physical Activity Guidelines
- suggestions on how to create a wellness culture
- examples of what other companies have done
- resources to establish or strengthen a wellness program
What’s In the Kit?
Steps to create, maintain and sustain physical activity and wellness programs
- Full Report [2.73 Mb]
- Introduction [242 Kb]
- Step 1: Building Support [PDF-349Kb] — Helps to make the business case for a culture of wellness that values physical activity among its employees.
- Step 2: Planning and Assessing plus case study [PDF-745Kb] — Describes how to develop a Wellness Committee and the importance of creating and following time lines. It also describes several types of assessments to consider when creating or enhancing your programs.
- Step 3: Promoting plus case studies [PDF-141Kb] — Describes ways to market the programs and activities to employees and discusses different incentives and rewards to consider when encouraging employee participation.
- Step 4: Implementing ideas for physical activity in the worksite [PDF-1Mb] - Describes four different tracks a company can follow to implement a physical activity program, depending on where a company may be in its readiness to implement a program:
- Step 5: Evaluation [PDF-192Kb] — Provides examples of different types of evaluations and discussions about why evaluating programs is important.
- Step 6: Sharing Results [PDF-108Kb] - Provides ideas on how to share your program successes with others—both internal and external to your company.
- Step 7: Sustainability [86 Kb] - Offers information on maintaining buy-in, locating additional funding sources, and leveraging state and national programs.
Resources To Get Started and Keep Going: [366 Kb]
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans At-a-Glance [PDF-362Kb]
- The Case for Physical Activity in the Workplace [PDF-87Kb]
- Organizational Assessment [PDF-68Kb]
- Reviewing Company Policies [PDF-75Kb]
- Reviewing Company Practices [PDF-55Kb]
- Employee Physical Activity Needs and Interests Survey [PDF-79Kb]