The content, links, and pdfs are no longer maintained and might be outdated.
- The content on this page is being archived for historic and reference purposes only.
- For current, updated information see the MMWR website.
World No Tobacco Day --- May 31, 2011
Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death; this year approximately 5 million persons worldwide will die from tobacco-related heart attacks, strokes, cancers, and other diseases (1). Sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO), World No Tobacco Day is observed every year on May 31.
This year, World No Tobacco Day highlights the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC) (1). Adopted as a resolution at WHO's 1996 World Health Assembly, WHO FCTC took effect in 2005 and is maintained by the United Nations. A total of 172 countries have adopted the treaty (2), making WHO FCTC one of the most widely embraced evidence-based treaties in United Nations history.
WHO FCTC urges all countries to ratify the treaty, fully implement its provisions, and adopt its guidelines (1), and WHO provides country-level assistance for implementing effective tobacco control measures (3). CDC has supported this effort by working with partners to provide technical assistance and infrastructure support for the creation of sustainable surveillance systems (the Global Adult Tobacco Survey and the Global Youth Tobacco Survey). Additional information is available at http://www.who.int/fctc/en/index.html.
- World Health Organization. WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2011. Available at http://www.who.int/tobacco/wntd/2011/announcement/en/index.html. Accessed May 19, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2011. Available at http://www.who.int/fctc/signatories_parties/en/index.html. Accessed May 19, 2011.
- World Health Organization. WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2008: the MPOWER package. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2011. Available at http://www.who.int/tobacco/mpower/2008/en/index.html. Accessed May 19, 2011.
Use of trade names and commercial sources is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
All MMWR HTML versions of articles are electronic conversions from typeset documents. This conversion might result in character translation or format errors in the HTML version. Users are referred to the electronic PDF version (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr) and/or the original MMWR paper copy for printable versions of official text, figures, and tables. An original paper copy of this issue can be obtained from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO), Washington, DC 20402-9371; telephone: (202) 512-1800. Contact GPO for current prices.
**Questions or messages regarding errors in formatting should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.