- To increase awareness of mental illness as an important public health problem and the importance of mental health promotion and mental illness prevention.
- To obtain better scientific information on mental health/mental illness through surveillance, epidemiology, and prevention research.
- To translate research findings into disease prevention programs, policies, and systems.
- To communicate research findings to appropriate audiences, including primary health care professionals, policy makers, and the public health community who work in disease prevention and health promotion.
- To support full integration of mental health promotion and mental illness prevention and treatment with other disease prevention programs.