Fact Sheets and Features
Campaigns and Initiatives
This video commentary describes hypoglycemia and medication errors among patients with diabetes who are treated with insulin.
Description: This video demonstrates how devices called flow restrictors work when added to liquid medicine bottles, and describes the results of a CDC and Georgia Poison Center study that looked at how effective these devices can be for preventing young children from getting into liquid medicines when adults are not looking.
Cough and Cold Medications for Children (2:29 mins)
This podcast discusses the safety concerns of cough and cold medications and children.
Este podcast habla sobre las preocupaciones de salud relacionadas con el consumo de medicamentos para la tos y el resfriado en los niños, sin la supervisión de los padres.
Dr. Len Paulozzi, Medical Epidemiologist in CDC's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Division of Unintentional Injury Prevention, offers some poisoning prevention tips for audiences of all ages.
Protect the Ones You Love from Poisoning (2:34 mins)
This podcast, developed as part of the Protect the Ones You Love initiative, discusses steps parents can take to help protect their children from poisoning, one of the leading causes of child injury.
In this video commentary from the CDC, Daniel Budnitz, MD, MPH, provides tips for healthcare providers to share with parents about using medicines safely. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), September 2010.
This video commentary is focused on medication use and its effects during pregnancy.
Good Medicine Can Be Bad for Baby (5:21 mins)
In this podcast Dr. Cheryl Broussard discusses the potential link between birth defects and women taking medications during pregnancy.
General Medication Safety
Other Government Agencies
- Information for Consumers (Drugs), Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Buying & Using Medications Safely, Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Getting a Prescription, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Medical Errors & Patient Safety, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Drug Safety, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Taking Medicines Safely, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Medicines: safety of medicines – adverse drug reactions, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Fact Sheet: What You Can Do to Avoid Medication Errors, Institute of Medicine (IOM)
- For Medicine Users, National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE)
- Be MedWise, National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE)
- OTCsafety.org, Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA)
- Safe Medication, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
- What You Should Know About…Safe Medication, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
- ConsumerMedSafety.org, Institute for Medication Safety Practices (ISMP)
- Consumer Information for Safe Mediation Use, National Coordinating Council for Medication Error Reporting and Prevention (NCC MERP)
Medication Safety for Children
- Tips for Parents, Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Using Over-the-Counter Cough and Cold Products in Children, Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Medicines in My Home, Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Medication Safety for Adults and Older Adults
- Medication Use Safety Training for Seniors, National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE)
- What You Can Do to Avoid Medication Errors, AARP
- For Safe Use of Oral Anticoagulants, SOS Rx