Get email updates
Enter your email to receive the monthly CDC Learning Connection eNewsletter
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC–INFO
SPOTLIGHT ARCHIVE: Heat Related Illness
Learning products and resources designed to assist the public health community in prevent heat-related illness. Learn ways to recognize and treat heat-related illness among those most at risk through the following products and resources.
- Presents information on what puts youth athletes at risk
- Provides factors that increase the risk for heat-related illness and steps that can be taken to prevent it
- Provides information for local public health officials to develop and implement excessive heat events notification and response programs
- Presents information, tips and guidelines for coaches in preventing heat related illnesses associate with athletes
- Learn about the different types of heat-related illness
- Determine how to recognize, treat, and prevent heat related illness
Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Technical Manual: Section III: Chapter 4, Heat Stress
- Describes heat disorders and health effects
- Provides guidelines and information for conducting an investigation
- Intended for clinicians in primary care, emergency care, critical care, and cardiology
- Highlights common concepts, situations, and presentations that clinicians will encounter on a regular basis
Valuable training and learning resources on the Spotlight topic, intended for the public health community.
- 2009-10 NCAA: Sports Medicine Handbook (See Prevention of Heat Illness)
- Drug-Associated Heat Stroke
- Exertional Heat Illness during Training and Competition
- CDC. Heat Illness Among High School Athletes MMWR 2010.
- CDC. Heat-Related Death Among Crop Workers. MMWR 2008.
- Heat Stress Index Calculator
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Heat Wave: A Major Summer Killer
- National Ag Safety Database (NASD): Dangers of Heat Stress
- NIOSH Science Blog: Summer Hazards for Workers
- NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topics (See information related to recommendations for employers and workers)
- Reducing Urban Heat Islands: Compendium of Strategies
- Washington State Department of Labor & Industries: Heat Illness Training Kit
A range of resources on the Spotlight topic relevant to specific audiences, or useful to the general public.
- NCAA resources help student-athletes beat the heat
- Naval Safety Center Acquisition Safety — Heat Stress
- Keep Your Cool Podcast
Information regarding training products and resources featured in the Spotlight was provided by
- TrainingFinder Real-time Affiliate Integrated Network (TRAIN), a free service of the Public Health Foundation
- National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH)