Get email updates
Enter your email address to receive the monthly CDC LC e-Newsletter
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC–INFO
SPOTLIGHT: The Basics of Public Health
Learning products and resources designed to help state, tribal, local, and territorial (STLT) public health agency professionals better understand CDC and basic public health topics.
Note: To view additional courses that may be available through your state, territory or other affiliations
- Login to the TRAIN system.
- Select the Course Search tab.
- Under Search Options, Select Browse for the affiliation of your choosing.
Business Planning for Public Health Programs
Provides business planning basics
Offers guidance to determine when writing a business plan is appropriate for a public health program
Evaluating a Public Health Program
Serves as a comprehensive tutorial on public health program evaluation
Explores the six steps and four standard groups in the CDC Framework for Program Evaluation
Grantwriting and Budgeting for Public Health Programs
Gives an overview of grantwriting as a way to secure funding for public health programs
Is applicable to all public health, medical, veterinary, pharmacy, emergency management, hospital, and other professionals interested in public health preparedness
Health Literacy for Public Health Professionals
Introduces participants to the fundamentals of health literacy
Demonstrates the importance of health literacy within public health practice
Introduction to Performance Management
Shares quality improvement and performance management concepts and tools
Focuses on active use of performance data to improve public health
- Provides an introduction to fundamental principles of law, ethics, and the legal system, as they frame public health practice in the United States
- Offers an overview of the purpose and use of epidemiology in public health practice for health professionals who are unfamiliar with the topic
Valuable training and learning resources on the Spotlight topic, intended for the public health community.
- CDC’s State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Public Health Gateway
- About CDC for Public Health Professionals
- Provides information and understanding around the organization of CDC centers, institutes, or offices
- Did You Know?
- A weekly news for action feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support, covers a broad range of public health issues including national health observances, data and report releases, and other timely information from across CDC
- Health Agency Profiles
- Provides information on national, state, tribal, local, and territorial health departments and agencies
- Health Data and Profiles
- Data resources and health profiles for selected jurisdictions to assist public health work
- Public Health Practice Stories From The Field
- a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to provide CDC and the field with facts and news from state, tribal, local and territorial public health agencies
- Resources for New Health Officials
- Includes information on CDC’s organization structure; CDC center, institute, and office factsheets; leadership bios; and an overview of CDC history
- Vital Signs Town Hall Teleconferences
- Hosted by the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support, these teleconferences follows the monthly release of the CDC’s Vital Signs report and engages STLT public health professionals on Vital Signs topics
- About CDC for Public Health Professionals
- CDC History and CDC – A History of Saving Lives Timeline
- A look at CDC and its contributions to public health from the early years to the present
- Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals
- Designed to serve as a starting point for academic and practice organizations to understand, assess, and meet training and workforce needs
- Public Health Grand Rounds
- A monthly webcast created to foster discussion on major public health issues
A range of resources on the Spotlight topic relevant to specific audiences, or useful to the general public.
Maintained by: Scientific Education and Professional Development Program Office
Information regarding training products and resources featured in the Spotlight was provided by
- TrainingFinder Real-time Affiliate Integrated Network (TRAIN), a free service of the Public Health Foundation
- Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support