Funded Injury Control Research Centers (ICRCs)
Brown Center for Violence and Injury Prevention, Washington University
Melissa Jonson-Reid, PhD
Director, Brown Center for Violence and Injury Prevention
Washington University in St. Louis
One Brookings Drive
Campus Box 1196
St. Louis, MO 63130
for general Center communication: email@example.com
Child maltreatment (CM), intimate partner violence (IPV), sexual violence (SV), and suicide attempts (SA) have varied and serious consequences across the lifespan and represent a significant cost to individuals and society. They are widespread sources of immediate and longer term injury during early childhood and the transition from adolescence to early adulthood. Preventing CM, IPV, SV, and SA and related injuries are the foci of the Brown School’s Center for Violence and Injury Prevention (BCVIP) at Washington University. We strive to promote multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary research and advocacy efforts of our over 60 engaged faculty from multiple disciplines and several institutions.
Our goal is to advance evidence-based:
- primary prevention of violence among young families, and
- intervention for childhood victims of violence to prevent potential later perpetration of violence toward themselves (SA) or others (CM, IPV, SV) as they transition to adulthood.
This is accomplished through three major efforts: (1) supporting applied research with agencies and organizations in the field to produce work with potential to impact practice and policy; (2) training of future practitioners through a multidisciplinary graduate certificate program and future researchers through training and mentoring of doctoral students and junior faculty; and (3) outreach efforts including newsletters, policy briefs, professional development trainings and partnerships with local, state, regional and national organizations.
- Page last reviewed: June 26, 2015
- Page last updated: June 26, 2015
- Content source:
- Content source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control