Awarded Research Cooperative Agreement to Prevent Unintentional Injuries
Assessing Multifaceted Fall Prevention Strategies Among Community Dwelling Adults
FOA Number: CE02-151 - Research Study to Assess Multifaceted Fall Prev Inter Strategies Older Adults
Project Period: 9/30/02-9/29/05
Application/Grant Number: 1-U17-CE522465-01
Principal Investigator: Linda Hale, RN, BSN
State of Wisconsin, Department of Health and Family Services
Injury Prevention Section
1 West Wilson St.
Madison, WI 53702
The State of Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services, as part of a three-year collaborative project, will develop, implement, and test a comprehensive approach to preventing falls among older adults through two complimentary strategies. They include a broad-based program to engage service agencies and health providers through brief multifaceted interventions, and a targeted strategy of individualized multi-factorial assessment and interventions for high-risk adults age 65 and older.
Goals of the project are to:
- enhance existing community efforts in Dane County to support falls prevention;
- test the effectiveness of a community-wide falls prevention program to decrease the rate of fall-related hospitalization compared to control counties;
- test whether an in-home multi-factorial assessment plus community-wide intervention can decrease the rates of falls among high-risk older adults compared to usual care plus community-wide intervention; and
- test whether a program of in-home multi-factorial assessment plus community-wide intervention can decrease the rate of falls among high- risk older adults compared to in-home, multi-factorial assessment without community-wide intervention.
Year one will include developing training, outreach programs, and other materials in collaboration with community partners. Multi-factorial interventions for high-risk older adults will be implemented and evaluated during years two and three. Research intervention will also be fully integrated into existing health provider and community-based programs to facilitate service consultation during year three.
- Page last reviewed: March 11, 2010
- Page last updated: March 11, 2010
- Content source:
- Content source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control