After we developed our five-year logic model, we needed to check the logical links to be sure it made sense and aligned with our new five-year strategic plan. We accomplished this by “reading” our logic model.
There are different approaches to reading a logic model: one moves from left to right and is known as the “If-Then” approach; the other moves from right to left and is known as the “Reverse Logic” or “how” approach. You can use either method to ensure that the items in each column logically connect to the items in the next column.
Start on the far left-hand side with inputs and think in terms of “If-Then” statements as you work from the left to the right of your logic model.
[The animation demonstrates the “If-Then” process for reading a logic model, starting with inputs and moving from left to right as the user thinks in terms of If-Then statements.
- Certain resources are needed to operate your program. [Inputs]
- If you have access to them, then you can implement your chosen strategies/activities. [Strategies/Activities]
- If you implement your strategies/activities, then you will produce a certain amount of intended product or service. [Outputs]
- If you produce the intended products and services, then, over time, your targeted population should benefit in certain ways. [Short-term, Intermediate, and Long-term Outcomes]
- If these benefits are achieved, then certain changes in organizations, communities, or systems might be expected to occur. [Overall Program Goal]
Begin with the long-term outcomes at the right-hand side and work backwards, asking, “How will we accomplish this?”
[This activity is designed to reinforce the "Reverse Logic" approach to constructing a logic model by illustrating how to identify Outputs, Activities, and Inputs using the approach.
- With your overall program goal statement in mind, ask yourself the following questions:
“How will we know we accomplished this:
- a. in 4 to 6 years” (long-term outcomes)
- b. in 3 to 5 years?” (intermediate outcomes)
- c. in 1 to 3 years?” (short-term outcomes)
|8 of 14|