American School Health Association (ASHA)
The ASHA unites the many multi-disciplinary professionals working in schools committed to safeguarding the health of school-aged children. Its mission is to build the capacity of its members to plan, develop, coordinate, implement, evaluate, and advocate for effective school health strategies that contribute to optimal health and academic outcomes for all children and youth. It has approximately 1400 members in 56 countries with more than half of the members practicing in K-12 schools. ASHA’s members advise and oversee health education or health services programs in schools or state agencies charged with managing school health programs.
ASHA's Program in Action
ASHA is funded to provide Capacity-Building Assistance for Preventing Chronic Diseases: Promoting Coordinated School Health Programs (CSHPs).
- Assessing technical assistance and resource needs of school health professionals within state education agencies to build the capacity of local education agencies for school health leadership and governance.
- Developing, posting, and marketing an online course for state education and health agency staff to work with local education agencies to improve the coordination of interventions and policies that support health and learning.
- Developing and making available an on line toolkit of resources for state and local education agency staff to build support for school health leadership and governance.
- Collaborating with the Society of State Directors of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation to plan and pilot a program that trains selected leaders from the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development to use Making the Connection II and related resources.
- Conducting a survey of Coordinated Health Education Network (CHEN) subscribers to collect feedback regarding its relevance and efficiency as a communication tool and suggestions for improvement.
- Promoting improved communication among CDC/DASH-funded Partners, non-governmental organizations, state leaders, members of higher education communities and other federal agencies as the host of the Coordinated Health Education Network (CHEN) listserv.
Other NGOs funded under this category:
- National School Boards Association (NSBA)
- Society of State Directors of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (the Society)
- Adolescent and School Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
4770 Buford Highway, Northeast, Mailstop K-27
Atlanta, GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO