American Lung Association (ALA)
The ALA is the oldest voluntary health organization in the United States dedicated to promoting lung health. ALA collaborates with local ALA constituents to build the capacity of state and local education and health agencies to improve the delivery, effectiveness, and sustainability of programs to reduce the burden of asthma among youth.
ALA's Program in Action
ALA is funded to provide Capacity-Building Assistance for Preventing Chronic Disease: Reducing the Burden of Asthma.
The Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative was created to integrate existing asthma management programs and information into one, comprehensive package. The Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative is intended for use by local Lung Associations, asthma coalitions, community groups and community organizations. The goal of the Asthma-Friendly Initiative is to assist local communities and community organizations in planning and implementing comprehensive asthma management programs within their local schools and existing school structures. Community-school collaboratives in ten cities across the country are implementing ALA's Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative (AFSI)—a community-based approach to comprehensive asthma management using the Coordinated School Health approach.
- Charlotte, NC: Charlotte Mecklenburg County Asthma Coalition, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- Evansville, IN: Evansville Vanderburgh School Community Council, Evansville Vanderburgh School District
- Kansas City, KS: Kansas Asthma Coalition, Turner School District
- Los Angeles, CA: Asthma Coalition of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Indianapolis, IN: Asthma Alliance of Indianapolis, Perry Township School District
- St. Paul, MN: Metro Minnesota Asthma Coalition, St. Francis School District
- Long Island, NY: Asthma Coalition of Long Island, Bay Shore Union Free School District, Hempstead Union Free School District
- Rochester, NY: Regional Community Asthma Network of the Finger Lakes, Rush Henrietta Central School District
- Sonoma County, CA: Sonoma County Asthma Coalition, Guerneville School District
- Hudson Valley, NY: Hudson Valley Asthma Coalition, Kingston City Consolidated School District
In preceding years, 10 school-community coalitions conducting the Asthma Friendly Schools Initiative developed & implemented work plans and objectives based on their individual assessments. In Year 5, they will:
- Identify up to 10 collaboratives that will receive financial support for proposed expansion seed grants to partner with new school districts on the Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative.
- Provide technical assistance and follow-up support to the 10 collaboratives to ensure the sustainability of their Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative (AFSI) efforts.
Other NGOs funded under this category:
- Adolescent and School Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
4770 Buford Highway, Northeast, Mailstop K-27
Atlanta, GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO