Body Mass Index
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. BMI can be used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems but it is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual.
Calculate Your BMI
How Do I Interpret Body Mass Index Information?
- About BMI for Adults Information about BMI and interpreting this number for adults.
- About BMI for Children and Teens Information about BMI and interpreting the BMI percentile for children and teens.
Other Helpful BMI Tools
- Adult Body Mass Index Calculator Widget Add this widget to your Web site to let anyone calculate their BMI. BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems. This calculator provides BMI and the corresponding weight category. Use this calculator for adults, 20 years old and older.
- CDC Child and Teen BMI Calculator Widget Add this widget to your Web site. This calculator provides BMI and the corresponding BMI-for-age percentile on a CDC BMI-for-age growth chart. Use this calculator for children and teens, aged 2 through 19 years old.
- The Children's BMI Tool for Schools This Excel spreadsheet can be used by school, child care, and other professionals who want to compute Body Mass Index (BMI)-for-age for a group of up to 2000 children, such as for a school class room or grade. Also see: Safeguards for BMI measurement in Schools.