Basics of Recreational Water Illnesses (RWIs)
Knowing the basic facts about recreational water illnesses (RWIs) can make the difference between an enjoyable time at the pool, beach, or water park, and getting a rash, having diarrhea, or developing other, potentially serious illnesses.
Learn your RWI facts:
- What are recreational water illnesses (RWIs)?
- Where are RWIs found?
- How are RWIs spread?
- Why doesn't chlorine kill RWI germs?
- Who is most likely to get ill from an RWI?
- How can we prevent RWIs?
For more information on recreational water illnesses, including brochures, posters, and educational materials, please see the Resources and Publications page.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC–INFO
- For more information, please contact us at healthyswimming@