Buildings and Facilities Damaged by Flood Water
Returning home after a flood can increase your risk of exposure to mold, chemical hazards, and injuries.
Clean up and dry out buildings quickly (within 24 to 48 hours). Open doors and windows. Use fans to dry out the building.
Be aware of potential chemical hazards during floods. Flood waters may have moved containers of hazardous chemicals from their normal storage places.
Avoid downed power lines.
- Reentering Your Flooded Home (CDC)
- Returning Home (FEMA)
- Rebuilding Water-Damaged Homes [PDF - 10.4 mb] (The Alliance for Healthy Homes)
- A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - EPA)
- Protect Yourself from Mold (CDC)
- Mold After a Disaster (CDC)
- Cleanup of Flood Water (CDC)
- Respiratory Recommendations for Reentering Flooded Homes (CDC)
- Repairing Your Flooded Home (American Red Cross)