NEPA Related Resources
General NEPA Information
- The National Environmental Policy Act of 1969
- A Citizen’s Guide to the NEPA: Having your Voice Heard [PDF - 931 KB]
This guide is designed to help citizens and organizations concerned about the environmental consequences of federal decision making to participate effectively in federal agency environmental reviews under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Collaboration in NEPA: A handbook for NEPA practitioners [PDF - 541 KB]
This handbook introduces the NEPA practitioner and other interested parties to collaboration, outlines general principles, presents useful steps, and provides information on collaboration methods.
- Other NEPA Web sites
This is the Council on Environmental Quality’s compilation of federal agency Web sites referencing NEPA.
Health in NEPA
- Bhatia R, Wernham A. Integrating human health into environmental impact assessment: an unrealized opportunity for environmental health and justice. Environ Health Perspect 2008;116:991–1000.
The paper reviews the purpose and procedures of the environmental impact assessment process, current regulatory requirements for health effects analysis, and potential barriers to and opportunities for improving integration of human health concerns within the environmental impact assessment process.
- Wernham A. Health impact assessments are needed in decision making about environmental and land-use policy. Health Aff (Millwood). 2011 May;30(5):947-956.
This paper discusses the potential to increase consideration of health impacts in the NEPA process.
- Bhatia R. Protecting health using an environmental impact assessment: a case study of San Francisco land use decisionmaking. Am J Public Health. 2007 Mar;97(3):406-413.
This paper discusses two case studies in San Francisco in which health issues are integrated into the environmental impact assessment process.
- Improving Health in the United States: The Role of Health Impact Assessment
Among other recommendations, this 2011 National Research Council study encourages stronger integration of health impacts into the NEPA process.